Sunday, May 2, 2010

temples


I just want to say that I love temples. We went to the Salt Lake temple this morning to do a live session and it was soooo wonderful. The spirit inside is so strong and it is just such a beautiful place to be. I know that it is the house of the Lord and that if we need guidance, peace, reassurance, knowledge, or whatever - we can find it there! Some new friends and I were discussing a project we want to do - we're going to make Saturdays temple day and go to a different temple in Utah every weekend :) I can't wait.

Few thoughts from Pres. D's notes:

"Before even arriving in the Salt Lake Valley, Brigham Young’s mind was focused on the erection of a temple, for he had seen the Salt Lake Temple in vision.
Just four days after their arrival in the Salt Lake Valley, in July of 1847, President Brigham Young strode to a spot that inspiration had obviously fixed in his mind. Pointing his cane to the parched ground, he declared: “Here we will build a temple to our God.” Elder Wilford Woodruff placed a marker on the designated site.
President Young later declared “I have never looked upon that ground, but the vision of [the six- spired Salt Lake Temple] was there.”
This declaration by President Young was a pronouncement of a prophet of God. In the midst of the summer, camped in a desert, with the pressing needs of food, shelter, and even survival weighing heavily upon the minds and hearts of the newly arrived pioneers, their prophet-leader reminded them of the “solemnities of eternity” (see D&C 43:34) which should also be resting upon their minds.
The construction of the Salt Lake Temple would not be completed in Brigham Young’s lifetime, but in my own heart I feel that both he and Joseph Smith were allowed to be present on that glorious occasion on 6 April 1893, when President Wilford Woodruff dedicated this magnificent house of the Lord. In fact President Woodruff recorded in his journal:
“If the eyes of the congregation could be opened they would [have] seen Joseph and Hyrum [Smith], Brigham Young, John Taylor, and all the good men who had lived in this dispensation assembled with us, as also ... all the Holy Prophets and Apostles who had prophesied of the latter day work. ... They were rejoicing with us in this building which had been accepted of the Lord.”

1 comment:

  1. I went to the salt lake temple the day before I went to the mtc. It was an amazing experience. One thing that stuck in my mind is when we entered it was on the side an then went under and then in the temple, cool but the part that most impacted me was what my Dad said when we were winding through the halls underneath the temple. There was someone in white directing is where to go at ever corner and my Dad said "in life the Lord will always make sure there is someone at ever turn that will help us find our way". I feel soo greatful for all the people that have guided and inspired me in my life:)

    ReplyDelete